Secrets to Fat Loss
We are currently in the middle of an obesity epidemic. Almost 70% of all Australians are overweight. Can you believe that?? 2/3 are overweight!!
- 67% do little or no exercise
- 20% of adults have 2 or more standard alcoholic drinks every day
- 5 percent of adults have an adequate intake of fruits and vegetables. Adequate being described as 1/2 cup vegetables (including potato) or one piece of fruit.
- Close to 30% of children are obese and the average childs’ energy expenditure is just 650 calories per day!!
- Obesity is a huge killer in the world with at least 140 Australians dying prematurely each day from obesity related disease.This rate has more than doubled in the last 6 years.
- It took over half a century to discourage people from killing themselves with smoking, but now it seems instead, we are killing ourselves with a whole different totally preventable cause.
To date, the fitness profession has failed to make a dramatic difference. Once upon a time, people were active and organised exercise was used to supplement an already active lifestyle. In present times, we use it to replace that everyday activity. We exercise mainly to lose weight.
At first, we used aerobic activity to try to accomplish this goal. This was found to be ineffective and mostly just caused fat-skinny people at best and overuse injury at worst.
Then we moved to bodybuilding for ideas. This was at the beginning of the Body For Life type transformations. But the thing was, while bodybuilders mostly have a very low bodyfat percentage, their lifestyle is extremely strict (yes, stricter than mine) and its just not possible for the average person to realistically follow it and therefore to get the same results. Not to mention the drugs often used to enable muscle gain and massive fat loss.
The good news is that we now know that fat loss is simple. Not easy, but simple. It requires lots of effort, effort that not many are willing to put in, but effort nonetheless.
The principles of fat loss are simple and the truth is: There is no secret!!
There are no quick fixes (at least not ones that work) and it takes hard work and a long term approach. Anyone that tells you different is either lying or has no idea.
A lot of people think that its all about creating a calorie deficit. That is, consuming less than you use. While this is part of the principles, its extremely important to note that if you do this for too long or to any extreme, your body will slow its function to conserve energy. You’ll also lose metabolic tissue and fat loss will just get harder and harder
I find this a lot with new clients, especially females. They’ve been dieting on and off for years, starving themselves and sometimes adding exercise (especially aerobic) to the mix as well. Eventually their bodies have got to the stage where they can survive on a very low level of calories and so diets that once worked, no longer work anymore.
This is often when people will seek professional help, but it can sometimes take a little time to ‘reset’ the body if its in this state and people expect a miracle in a week or two.
When you start a program, remember;
- there’s no secret
- it might take a while
- fat loss is not linear, you will have good weeks and not so good weeks
- keep following the principles of fat loss over time and you will succeed
- while its important to not beat yourself up if you stray off track, its more important to stop making up excuses and stick to the program.
If you have any questions about fat loss or improving fitness, contact me any time