Foods You Thought Were Healthy-think again
(republished from May this year due to many questions being asked about these foods
If you want to be in the best shape possible, with minimal fat levels and lean strong muscles. If you want to achieve and maintain great health, you must think about everything that you do to and with your body. What exercise do you, or don’t you do? What do you eat? What do you drink? Do you get enough sleep?
It’s all so confusing. I have listed some common foods below that you probably thought were healthy. Have a look. How many do you consume regularly?
- Breakfast Cereals – all cereals are processed foods. End of story. ‘Whole grain’ ‘wholemeal’ ‘contains whole grains’ ‘full of whole grain goodness’ blah blah blah. These are not whole foods, they are processed. Have you seen a grain of wheat, barley or corn lately. Do they even slightly resemble the breakfast cereals. Even if they were whole grain, we don’t need whole grains to be healthy anyway. In fact, most modern research (that is those studies not funded by the grain boards etc) are showing that most of our modern diseases can be related back to our huge consumption of grain foods. Stop eating them!! Don’t kid yourself.
- Bread and pasta – see number one. How many times do you see recommendations to eat non-processed foods with the very next sentence recommending wholegrain bread or pasta??? What is that? Bread and pasta do not grow on trees, they are manufactored, processed foods. And no making them yourself is no different. Flour is a processed food. Think about it.
- Museli, protein, low carb, ‘natural,’ ‘health’ and Breakfast type bars – see above. Need I say more. These are not healthy in any way, shape or form.
- Low Fat Yoghurt, heck low fat anything for that matter. Studies have proved that most artificial sweeteners cause diseases such as cancer. They even cause you to gain weight! Yes you read correctly, they cause you to gain weight!
- Fruit Juice – 100% fruit juice is not 100% fruit juice. If you really have to, make you own, but I still would not recommend this. How many oranges or whatever fruit you use, do you need to make enough juice? Think of the calorie level!! Eat the fruit! Do not give this to your kids either. Give them water. Juice is not a healthy choice. Stop kidding yourself on this too.
- Rice cakes and other so called healthy biscuits, crackers, cruskits and crisp breads – see number one, two and three for this one. No wholegrains here either, despite what the label says. Just a short pass ticket to diabetes, weight gain etc
- Low fat or high protein muffins, cakes and biscuits – really do I need to explain this one. For a start, low fat does not equal healthy!! Repeat – low fat does not equal healthy!! I’d say it again, but ……. These foods are high in either sugar or artificial sweeteners (sugar would be the better choice, but is still a bad one) They will not help you lose weight, they are not healthier than ordinary cakes and muffins. Do not kid yourself here either. You are not kidding anyone else by buying them. And dont feed these to your kids either.
- Packets of just about anything – Don’t believe the labels. Whole grain, full of natural goodness, healthy, low fat, diet, lite, 25% real fruit, the healthy alternative………It goes on and on. These foods are not healthy. A list of ingredients and exaggerated claims to fame practically scream that the food is not good for you!! If it comes in a packet, leave it alone. (exceptions include frozen vegies, nuts and some other items but I am sure you get the picture)
- Milk – is for baby cows. It is one of the highest causes of allergic reactions. You may even be intolerant of lactose without even knowing it. This can have a huge impact on your immune system which in turn effects your entire body and general health. It is also linked to many common conditions like excema, acne, sinus problems, heart disease, high cholesterol etc etc. Give it a miss and feel the difference
So how did you go? Eat many of these things? Try cutting them down to once a week. You will notice a difference in how you feel within days.
Let me know how you go with this or comment on this blog