Probiotics and your health
Many common ailments begin in the digestive system or as a result of a digestive system not functioning at its best.
Probiotics have many benefits. I have listed just some of them below:
- Support healthy immune system
- Improve digestion of food
- Improve absorbtion of many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from your food
- Aid in the treatment and prevention of yeast infections and candidiasis
- Alleviates and prevents many common digestive disorders such as constipation, diarrhea and IBS
- Promotes anti-tumor and anti-cancer activity in the body
- Helps with treatment and prevention of eczema especially in children
- Reduces lactose intolerance
- Counteracts the bad effects of anti biotics
- Helps with the treatment of bad breath
Probiotics can be taken in supplement form, but be sure that the brand you choose does not contain sugar or glucose as these counteract the good effects of the probiotics and can prevent them doing the good work in your body
They can also be found naturally in foods such as yoghurt (check the labels), buttermilk and kefir. Wheat grass, spirulina and chlorella are also food sources of probiotics in your diet. These green foods also contain loads of minerals, vitamins and other nutrients that benefit your immune system.
Many medications and also chemicals we absorb through our diet and our environment destroy the good bacteria in our gut, so we need to make sure that we are replacing them by supplementing or eating the above foods every day.
Probiotics are an essential part of your daily health plan along with omega 3 fats and a multi vitamin/mineral supplement. Make sure you are getting some probiotics every day if you want to make sure that you are getting the most from all the healthy food you are eating and to support your immune system especially at this time of the year.